You have come to the right place, welcome. Are you ready for a fresh start? We can help.
SMITH | STRONG, PLC, focuses on protecting assets and preserving futures for individuals and their families at three critical transition points: (1) separation/divorce; (2) estate planning/retirement; and (3) elder law/avoiding unnecessary nursing home and long-term care costs. And we have developed teams focused on each of these three challenging areas of practice.
Family legal matters such as divorce, child custody, estate planning, or elder law can oftentimes lead many of our clients to feel overwhelmed and gripped with fear over making a costly mistake. If you're at the point where you're looking for an attorney, it's probably safe to assume you're ready to stop worrying and confidently move forward with your life with a plan of action. Whether you are simply seeking advice, or hoping to find a lawyer that can handle all aspects of your divorce/custody, estate planning, or elder law matter, Smith Strong, PLC offers the personal touch that your situation requires.
A Boutique Law Firm With a Track Record of Success
We think you deserve a personal, boutique family law and estate planning firm experience for life's greatest transition points: (1) separation/divorce; (2) estate planning/retirement; and (3) elder law/avoiding unnecessary nursing home and long-term care costs. And your family, your financial security, and possibly your children's futures, at this moment, frankly require a personal approach.
Family legal matters are simply different, and more deeply personal, than other areas of legal practice. It requires an outstanding knowledge of Virginia's laws and court system, as well as the emotional intelligence and discretion to handle delicate family matters.
Our law office is designed for superior client service and responsiveness. We keep our client membership to a manageable number so we can react quickly to whatever you may need and consistently keep your case as a priority within our firm. Clients appreciate our firm’s selectivity and thoughtfulness in this regard, ensuring their case is handled efficiently, with absolute discretion and careful strategic planning.
We begin working on your case from day one and update you on the progress of your case every week. (You would think this is an obvious point, "of course they'll keep me informed" you might be thinking, but the biggest complaint most people have with the family law firm they choose is lack of communication and education about their case, empowering them with options, as it progresses.)
You will work alongside attorney Van Smith and his hand-picked associate attorneys, client service specialists, and experienced paralegals who will surround and guide you through your family law matter with the utmost of care.
Why choosing to work with a boutique family law firm should be important to you and your family law matter:
- We're not a factory, and your case is not a number in a file room. You will work with our firm's client services specialists, paralegals, and attorneys hand-picked for your particular family law matter. We limit our practice to family law matters from the Richmond metropolitan area to Williamsburg, Virginia, so you can be assured our firm has developed the skill to handle your complex family law matter and the local knowledge to quickly take action from the Richmond area to Williamsburg, Virginia. A boutique family law firm does not mean too big to have time to fully "get" your situation, nor so small that we can't embrace the complexity of your life. We're a team, focused on providing smart family law solutions for our client-members.
- Responsive: We will keep you informed each week of the progress and status of your case. We return all client calls and emails quickly, and because we know you hate voicemail, we try to prevent you from ever reaching a voicemail box during business hours. We want you to get the answer you need right when you call or we will schedule an exact time that is best for you for us to get back in touch with you with the solution.
- Integrity in our Approach: We will make a concerted effort to keep you, your family, and your finances out of the courtroom--if we can achieve a fair and reasonable outcome outside of court through discreet settlement.
- Honest: We practice with integrity and honesty, fostering an attorney-client relationship built upon mutual respect and trust.
- Fair, Flat & Hourly Billing Arrangements. Our attorneys will outline a fair flat or hourly billing option to proceed with your case during your first meeting with us. And remember, there's no obligation to proceed, take as much time as you need to make the right decision for you and your family. No pressure. When you're ready, we're ready to proceed with the plan of action we crafted in that first meeting.
- We're focused on family legal matters at 3 critical transition points: (1) separation/divorce; (2) estate planning/retirement; and (3) elder law/avoiding unnecessary nursing home and long-term care costs, meaning we're ready for your complex case and we can draw upon our day in, day out experience of focused family law practice, applied exclusively from Richmond to Williamsburg.
- Award-Winning Performance. AVVO.com awarded Smith Strong, PLC its Client Satisfaction Award for Family Law honor in 2013, and again in 2014. In 2015, the Richmond Times-Dispatch designated attorney Van Smith a Reader's Choice Lawyer. The National Advocates awarded attorney Van Smith its prestigious Top 100 Matrimonial and Family Lawyers award--a nationwide recognition. Virginia Super Lawyers named attorney Van Smith a Rising Star in the area of family and matrimonial law in 2014.
Practice Areas That We Focus On
Our practice areas primarily revolve around divorce, estate planning, and elder law matters. For instance, if you are contemplating a divorce in the Richmond metropolitan area or Williamsburg, we can handle absolutely everything for you, or just certain things that you cannot come to an agreement on. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to legal solutions for individuals and their families, so we are flexible and make ourselves available to tailor the right solution for your needs.
These are a few situations and emotions our clients commonly deal with. Do any of them sound familiar?
- “I'm tired of the drama, living on autopilot and just trying to keep it together every day. I'm ready for a fresh start and a new chapter. I know it’s time.”
- “We had a lifestyle that included a good home, newer cars, a vacation house and club memberships. How are we going to divide everything and be okay? It's overwhelming trying to ensure I'm taken care of financially during this transition.”
- “I've worked hard for what I have, and I don't want to lose it all. I need a negotiator to ensure my needs are taken care of and that I'm not taken advantage of."
- “We had an informal, verbal agreement and suddenly my former partner isn't living up to her side of the deal.”
- “My child's father lost his job and now he's not paying the child support that was agreed to.”
- “Every time I pick up my children, my ex-spouse and I get into a shouting match in front of them.”
- "I do not want to lose my children, they really are the most important part of my life."
- “How will I cover my financial obligations without my spouse's income? I'm going to need some kind of support.”
- “How much can I expect to pay/receive in spousal support? And for how long based on our situation?”
- “We are still paying the mortgage on our house and we need someone to draft the agreements and documents so that one of us can keep the house and get the other off the mortgage.”
- “I want to avoid paying spousal support. Can I just give her more property?”
- "I'd like to keep my spouse out of my retirement account if I can, isn't there a way around dividing my retirement account?"
- “We are hoping to keep this cost-effective and out of court; we get along, but we just know we're better off apart from one another.”
- “We've worked through most of our divorce issues, but just need someone to guide us through the more complicated parts and help us settle everything without going to court.”
- “I’m not sure if my spouse will agree to it or not, but I want to learn more about out-of-court divorce options like mediation and collaborative law.”
- "I've read about how expensive divorce and custody cases can be, isn't there a way to get this done outside of court?"
- “I came back from deployment and it’s just not the same.”
- “We need someone who understands the military pension and pay programs that can help guide us through a divorce, with an appreciation for the military lifestyle and its pay and retirement programs.”
- "I'm about to be relocated to a new base overseas and I need to file for divorce and custody before we go our separate ways."
- “We haven’t been getting along, but this time, our fight just spiraled out of control, and now I have to report to the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court for a Protective Order hearing. What is going to happen now?”
- "What is going to happen in court if a protective order is entered against me--will I be able to see my kids?"
- “I owe it to my children to provide them with an intelligent estate plan that gives them the greatest possible share allowable."
- "I've heard trusts can be used to avoid probate and other estate taxes, but I'm not sure if they're for me. I want to be smart about this, but really don't know where to start."
- “My brother was supposed to manage Mom's money for her care, and then ensure our inheritance was protected--but instead, he squandered Mom's life savings."
- "We started digging and found a disturbing pattern--Dad's social security was being funnelled into an outside account. Then we found other accounts with large amounts taken and unaccounted for--we need answers."
Contact the Family Law Attorneys at Smith Strong
Divorce and custody matters are not easy, but our law office works hard to make sure it is handled in the most efficient, professional way possible. And when a couple has children, we ensure a family is left standing, even if the parents are transitioning out of marriage.
With offices in Richmond's West End and Williamsburg, we are always ready to speak with you about any family law issues you may be facing. You are also welcome to request a copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide to Divorce & Custody in Virginia: Quickly Get Back to Fully Living Your Life.
Call us today at 804-325-1245 or 757-941-4298 to schedule a SMARTSTART comprehensive case preparation meeting.
P.S. Ready to get started right away? Call 804-325-1245 or 757-941-4298 to speak with Smith Strong's Client Services Specialist; and don’t worry, we’ll make sure you receive our free report and attorney Van Smith's new book, The Ultimate Guide to Divorce & Custody in Virginia, just for calling.
Smith Strong, PLC is solely owned and operated by attorney Van Smith.