Attorney Robert Miller practices family law, including divorce, custody, and support cases, as well as criminal defense and immigration law from our Richmond and Williamsburg, Virginia office of Smith Strong PLC.
Robert is a life-long resident of the Richmond area, growing up in Midlothian, Virginia. Robert graduated from the University of Richmond School of Law and earned his undergraduate degree in History from Virginia Tech.
Prior to attending law school, Robert worked at a small family law firm in Chesterfield, Virginia where he first took an interest in family law and becoming an attorney. During law school, Robert gained litigation experience working for the Virginia Office of the Attorney General. In that role, he worked for the Virginia Department of Taxation and for the Community Tax Law Project, representing low-income tax payers in disputes with the IRS and Virginia Department of Taxation. Robert still does pro bono tax work for the Community Tax Law Project for low-income residents of Virginia.
After law school, Robert moved to Northern Virginia and worked for a general practice firm with a focus on family law, immigration, and criminal defense. Robert was then tapped to lead the firm’s Richmond office which he successfully did for over a year before joining Smith Strong. Robert’s time representing clients has taught him the skills needed to be a powerful advocate for clients.
Robert currently lives in Midlothian, Virginia with his wife, Labrador retriever, and two Siamese cats. In his spare time, Robert enjoys watching football and baseball, working on his home and lawn, and spending time with family.
Robert is licensed to practice law in Virginia, the United States District Court for Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, and the United States Tax Court.
Robert's practice focuses on the following areas:
Premier Family Law, Divorce & Child Custody Representation
- Divorce, Matrimonial Law, Family Law
- Litigation in Trial Courts
- Negotiated Settlements
- Premarital and Postnuptial Agreements
- Marital Settlement Agreements & Separation Agreements
- Child Custody, Visitation & Support
- Spousal Support & Alimony
- Integrated Solutions for Wealth Management & Preservation
- Parentage & Paternity Cases
- Retirement Plans & Benefits
- Property Division and Distribution
- Business Valuation
- Military divorce
- Post-Divorce Disputes
- Child/Parent Relocation Cases
Juvenile & Domestic Relations-Related Criminal Defense Representation
- Domestic Violence & Protective Order Hearing
- Assault & Battery Charges
- K1 fiance visas
- K3 spouse visas
- Other family petitions (parents, children)
- Adjustment of status (once in US)