Exclusive Focus on Family Law Matters
- Smith Strong, PLC focuses on family law matters, including divorce, custody, support, and property distribution.
- Smith Strong, PLC uses cloud-based case management software for our client’s matters (no clutter), relying upon systems and procedures designed to facilitate efficiency and excellence of legal product.
- Smith Strong, PLC provides a monthly newsletter with up to date educational materials designed to help clients with family law issues.
- Every new client of Smith Strong, PLC receives a copy of attorney Van Smith’s book, "The Ultimate Guide to Divorce & Custody in Virginia to Ensure You Get Back to Fully Living Your Life as Quickly as Possible" and his acclaimed report, "The 7 Essential Steps for Divorce Planning in Virginia."
- Attorneys with Smith Strong, PLC attend continuing legal education seminars and retreats on complex family law topics at least twice a year to remain on the cutting edge of any change in the law.
Unique, Personal Approach
- Smith Strong, PLC ensures clients rarely, if ever, reach a voicemail machine during business hours, if calling through the main office number. This means if the attorney or paralegal are not immediately available to speak with you, a block of time based upon your availability is scheduled for a call back at that exact time—no more waiting around for the attorney to call you back.
- Smith Strong, PLC utilizes a team approach where each client is placed with a client services specialist, experienced family law paralegal, and lead attorney for their case, ensuring fast implementation of your agreed upon plan of action from day one.
- Smith Strong, PLC maintains relationships with their clients long after the “file” is closed to ensure our client-members are educated and prepared for typical post-closing issues that may arise.
- Our firm and client membership are purposefully kept small to ensure a personal delivery of service to each client.
- Smith Strong, PLC, led by attorney Van Smith, conducts weekly docket meetings with the entire team wherein each case is discussed and updated.
Cost-Effective Billing Options, Including Value Pricing Options
- Utilizing cost-effective billing procedures, including the latest in technology and value pricing methods, Smith Strong, PLC remains keenly focused on the client’s goals for the representation, ensuring the best chance at a potentially faster and more effective result.
- Value pricing creates certainty as to the amount that will be charged and this is preferable for many of our clients to the uncertainty of the hourly billing method.
- Smith Strong, PLC also will place a cap on the fees for a contested, litigated divorce when clients choose the value pricing method of payment.
- Smith Strong, PLC also offers the traditional, hourly billing model typical of most firms in the area.
A Boutique Virginia Family Law Firm, Led by a Trusted Family Law Attorney
- Van, a native of Chesterfield County, now lives in central Virginia with his wife Katie, and daughter, Farah. He attended William & Mary for undergraduate and law school, where he met his wife while studying in the law library in Williamsburg.
- Prior to forming Smith Strong, PLC, Van worked under highly-regarded divorce and family law attorneys in Northern Virginia with the law firm Sevila, Saunders, Huddleston & White (listed in Washingtonian Magazine’s Top D.C. Divorce Lawyers); and he began his legal career with Williams Mullen in Richmond, Virginia, practicing civil litigation for a wide range of corporate clients.
- His experience also includes holding management positions at the University of Virginia Foundation, The College of William & Mary, and abroad with the U.S. Department of Defense, where he was named an Honorary Iraqi Firefighter for his service in the Coalition Provisional Authority throughout Iraq (a tough family law case seems rather feasible after Iraq).
- Van has addressed groups from a few dozen to several thousand on a variety of topics from working in a nonprofit serving war-traumatized children in Zenica, Bosnia and rebuilding the fire and ambulance services in Iraq, to inspirational messages before elementary and middle school classes as well as high school graduations and baccalaureate ceremonies, and, finally, lectures on law and history in Virginia before university audiences and community organizations.
- Van carries his inspirational message to his clients, too, encouraging them to seize the day and plan for their best life ahead, evidenced in his “Your Best Life” information provided throughout the website.
- He enjoys working to improve his client’s lives, while also spending time with his family, playing tennis, hiking, cycling, being on the James River, fly fishing, and reading—beginning his day with coffee and a newspaper and ending it with tea and a good book.
Most Cases Resolved Privately Out of Court
- Most of our firm’s cases are resolved out of court through a negotiated settlement or collaborative approach.
- While we excel at private negotiation, Smith Strong, PLC remains ready and prepared for complex litigation in court on behalf of our client’s interests, if necessary and appropriate.
- Lead attorney Van Smith and his team appear in courts throughout central and eastern Virginia each week, from Charlottesville to Richmond to Williamsburg, Virginia.
Staff Trained to Provide a Wow! Customer Service Experience
- Many of our paralegals and client services specialists have experienced, first hand, the pain of divorce and custody matters. This understanding gives them a special sensitivity to our clients, and their families.
- Our staff is encouraged and rewarded for providing a “Wow!” customer service experience for our clients.
- Bottom line: We want to make you happy and keep you happy, so you will help us spread the word of firm’s values and integrity.